So my little old blog still lies dormant, but there is a future here, and it’s coming because my now 6 year old son has started to develop a real interest in things mechanical and tinkering, so to that end I think the idea of a project bike or restoration has budgetary approval based on the educational and father-son bonding criteria😉
To this end I have started to research around what is possible on a low budget and try and establish what I would want to get out of such a project.
- Spend time with my son
- Teach him what (little) i know about motorbikes and mechanics
- Improve my skills – mechanic, fabrication, welding, painting
- Create something we can sell to fund another project
- Rinse, lather and repeat the above steps🙂
So to whet the appetite I tend to look at real junkers for sale, and google the make/mode with a simple ‘cafe racer’ extension and have a look at what might be possible.
I think I am drawn to a few of these due to availability of cheap donor bikes and parts
- Suzuki GSX250
- Suzuki TS185 – interesting 2 stroke trail to cafe racer conversion
- Yamaha DT175/250 – as above
- Honda XL/XR 250 – 4 stroke trail to cafe conversion
- Suzuki GN185/250
I will add a few before and afters here as I come across them, to keep the ideas and also share them with you!